A Comprehensive guide on how to use Drupal 8
Drupal is the out-of-the-box tool and an open-source content management system (CMS) among global enterprises, governments, higher education institutions, and NGOs. It has been considered as the most flexible and highly scalable in publishing an internet web site or a company/group intranet site. Not only this, rather you can also publish a single web site or share your content into multiple languages across many devices.
It will not be exaggerating the things if we say that Drupal has a unique way to organize its parts. Mostly, the techie tribes and business leaders viz. Website development services agency prefer Drupal to transform content management into robust digital solutions. If you are a learner, wondering what is Drupal and how can you use it? Then, this blog can illuminate you to the most extent. Here, we will be going to discuss the installation process and essential features & functions of Drupal CMS. It will give you more idea about Drupal modules.
How can you build a website with Drupal?
All you need to follow the given steps one-by-one:
STEP 1.Avail the Web Hosting
Before going ahead, the first and foremost thing that you need to do just consider four main aspects given below:
- Up-time: The percentage of up-time reveals how much time your site will be up and running. But it is our recommendation to select something that can meet or exceeds the industry standard of 99.9%.
- Page load speed: You will be shrewd enough if you choose a host that loads faster than 850ms, which is the current average.
- Customer support: It will be better if you sort out issues with support beforehand. Of course, you should choose a host that has high-quality, quick and instant customer support.
- Price: The prices of hosting services may vary accordingly, but you choose the one that you can afford. Besides, its satisfaction rating should be on the first three factors.
STEP 2.Download Drupal and prepare the installation
The process of installing Drupal is as easy as eating pie. All you need to click here go to the official website to download .
Unzip the file and connect to your server (via FTP with FileZilla). Then start uploading all those files to the directory that your domain is pointed at. The process will take some moments, but in the meanwhile, you can navigate to your host’s management panel by MYSQL databases.
Point to ponder here is, you have to create a dedicated database for your Drupal installation. At last, you should end up with the following:
- Database name
- Database user name
- That user’s password
- Database host address
Note: Better to keep all this information handy as you will need it soon.
STEP 3. Get ready to start the installation process
As soon as you are done with uploading all the files, navigate to your site domain. By doing this, you will get started your Drupal installation process. For the further proceedings, just consider the following points;
- Firstly, select the language for your Drupal website and click on “save and continue”.
- Next, determine your installation profile. It will help you to judge a little bit that your site features are pre-configured or not. But for this case, I better prefer the “standard profile”. But if you are more experienced then you may also use the minimal option.
- Now,the Drupal installation process will check the environment to run the software whether it is sufficient or not. If there is any problem, it will reveal you a warning. Later, you can address them to continue the process.
- Then, a page for database information will be appeared and you have to enter all your requisite configuration just to confirm that you have collected earlier. Given below is the picture, you can take an idea from it.
In case, your MySQL host address is not localhost, then there is an option for advanced options. From there, you can change your host. On the other hand, you will also assign a database prefix if needed in the same place. Once you are done, you may proceed further to begin the actual installation by hitting the “Save & Continue button.”
- In the end, set up necessary details about your site.
- If you want the feature of automatically checking for updates and notifying then click once on the small boxes given above in the picture. As soon as you will click “Save & Continue” button, you will be done with the installation.
STEP 4.All you need to know about the user interface
Afterward, automatically, you will be landed on your newly created Drupal website.
Now, login your Drupal site and you will see the links to all parts of the back end at the top of the screen. From there you can edit your site as well. Let’s have a look at the highlights of what does it contain:
- Content: It is for creating posts and pages whenever required. Apart from this, from here, you can have the control on the comments section whether you want to get “ON” or “OFF” and you can find your site’s media library in which all pictures will be stored.
- Structure:All the structural elements of your website will be managed here only including forms, blocks, content types, menus and taxonomies.
- Appearance: Here, you can change the settings for themes. Any other appearance that you want to change such as site updates and all, then that can be done under this menu.
- Extend: To install and uninstall the Drupal modules, you can use this menu.
- Configuration: All the settings come under this menu. It gives you access to make the changes in your site settings.
- People: To open the platform for users, this menu has been created. Moreover, it also contains the roles and permission levels to allow certain access.
- Reports:This is for the logs, update information, status reports, search phrases, errors and other information about your Drupal site.
- Help: It is the main and central hub for all site manager as it has the basic site administration as well as modules installed on your site.
Moving forward, there is a shortcut from where you can access your own links to the parts of the admin interface which has been shown in the following screenshot.
This is how you can make your work process faster and quicker. Hope, this blog has enlightened you to brush up your knowledge about the use of Drupal.